We are seeking socially conscious Senior Frontend Developer for an exciting rebuild of UniversalGiving website. The Senior Developer should have experience building marketplace websites such as Amazon, Target or Zappos or built a small e-commerce marketplace from scratch.
Candidate should be authorized to work in US. Candidates can be from Silicon Valley or anywhere across the US.
Attach your coding and designs/portfolio. Must!
Senior Frontend Developer
Business Unit: Product Development
Reports To: Database Engineer and UniversalGiving Tech Committee
UniversalGiving® is an award-winning website allowing people to donate and volunteer with top performing vetted projects all over the world. People can volunteer at a community clinic in Uganda or give $25 to help a rural school in Nepal. Unique to UniversalGiving, 100% goes directly to the cause, support us. UniversalGiving Corporate provides Strategy, Operations, and NGO Vetting to scale companies’ CSR programs in more than 120 countries; our Corporate Services allow us to become self-sustaining. UniversalGiving has been featured on the homepage of Bloomberg,Oprah.com, CBS, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times.
UniversalGiving just celebrated 10 years and 10,000 global volunteers matched with NGOs in more than 60 countries across the world. We are now rebuilding our website with new technologies. Our goal is to have a site that can handle partnerships with major media organizations, such as CBS during times of crisis/natural disaster. When a crisis occurs and is featured on TV, people will give through UniversalGiving. Our site must be robust, have excellent performance and the ability to handle millions of visitors.
We are looking for socially conscious developers who interested in using their skills to make an impact with an innovative social enterprise.
We are open to developers from Silicon Valley as well as the other parts of the nation. The developer will report to the Database Engineer, Tech Committee, and the Website Architecture Engineer. Your role will be assisting the lead engineers on anything they need, either on the frontend or the backend of the website.
This is a 6-month full-time contract position to start. There is a possibility of extension, either full or part time. It’s a huge opportunity to be a major leader in helping rebuild a social enterprise. We can guarantee the opportunity to work on a large-scale web application and gain valuable experience.
Important Note for Recent College / Boot camp Grads: We are a small organization so we are looking only for applicants with solid senior development experience. If you just finished a web development boot camp, this may not be a good fit for you (or for us). We are only going to be hiring 1-2 developers so we need individuals who have worked on and produced enterprise grade web applications. You will not have the resources here to learn as part of a big team, nor do we have the funds to pay you while you grow as a developer.
Please Note: We already have a strategic plan, fully-functional website, and due diligence on each major feature/component. We are extremely prepared with more than 20 documents for this rebuild. We will guide you on the overall vision and features of the site, though we will give you creative freedom to use your judgment on implementation.
- Create a robust, attractive, scalable design for the new website.
- Write efficient, well-designed code with a clean separation from the backend. Develop modular UI components that can be reused and configured by non-designers.
- Develop rapid, excellent, responsive user interface.
- The majority of UI should be editable by lay people.
- Experience creating and working with responsive designs that function on both mobile and standard displays. All designs should be both created with excellence for both website and mobile-website.
- Develop and implement new user features and web components.
- Work closely with Product Development team and UniversalGiving Tech Committee with professionalism and sound communication skills.
- Our current website is built based on Java, Apache Struts, MySQL, Apache Tomcat 7.0, JMeter, and Hibernate ORM. Our rebuild will move to the following technologies HTML, CSS, ReactJS (possibly Angular 2), Bootstrap, Python, MySQL and others.
- Long-term commitment to grow with the organization as a full-time or part-time role after the rebuild.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science and at least 5+ years experience as a frontend developer
- Experience in designing highly scalable, craftsmanship, web-based marketplaces that are attractive, rapid, and functional.
- Experience with content management systems.
- Must have hands on experience in writing code that works on multiple platforms and browsers.
- Familiar with modern front end web best practices. Highly proficient in latest web standards: HTML5, CSS3, SASS/LESS, Web Workers, SVG graphics, embedded videos and media and browser APIs.
- Must have experience with view layer frameworks such as ReactJS, Angular 2, Bootstrap and Flux Architecture.
- Understanding of API and event-driven architecture powered by REST and WebSockets.
- Experience with Continuous Integration / Agile Development.
- Self-directed problem solver.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work with lead engineers in the team.
- Interest in nonprofit work, international issues, and philanthropy.
- Interest in using technical skills for broader social good.
- Full support for the mission and vision of UniversalGiving.
- Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based on a mix of experience, analysis, research, and judgment.
- Action Oriented: Takes direction and implements task from management with ease and immediacy.
- Professionalism: is respectful, trusting, has a positive attitude, and excellent execution.
- Listening: attentive, active listener has patience and asks for clarity if needed.
- Process Management: follows UG manuals, figures out process with minimal direction.
- Time Management: uses time effectively and efficiently.
- Drives for Results: pushes oneself and team for results; meets goals.
- Understanding others: understands various points of view; embraces diversity.
Email your resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com with “Senior Frontend Developer” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please describe your web development with e-commerce experience and why you want to work for a social enterprise like UniversalGiving. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
UniversalGiving™ is committed to understanding and representing the diverse populations it serves worldwide. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization. We believe that a diverse team will best serve our diverse populations.