UniversalGiving® is an award-winning website allowing people to donate and volunteer with top performing vetted projects all over the world. Unique to UniversalGiving, 100% of a donation goes directly to the cause. Our corporate services allow us to become self-sustaining. UniversalGiving Corporate provides strategy, operations, and NGO vetting to scale companies’ CSR programs in more than 120 countries. UniversalGiving has been featured on the homepage of BusinessWeek, Oprah.com, CBS, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times.
The Social Media Lead Intern will be responsible for leading our Communications and Marketing efforts through various social media networks. The intern will research, plan and execute strategy with the goal of building community awareness and engagement around UniversalGiving’s brand, mission, and services. This is a great opportunity for students and recent graduates interested in gaining marketable skills, while gaining industry exposure.
As a UniversalGiving intern, you’ll have the opportunity to work with a diverse, passionate team representing over 25 cultures. Our work culture is fast-paced and entrepreneurial, yet collaborative and fun including monthly potlucks and team events. Come work with us to make Giving and Volunteering A Natural Part of Everyday Life®!
- Build community interest and momentum through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Youtube and other social media channels by posting updates, engaging conversations and discussions, and increasing the number of followers
- Train new interns on social media and assign relevant projects
- Coordinate and manage the social media calendar
- Draft content for online communication including newsletter and blog posts
- Research the social media landscape for successful approaches to social medi
- Updating the tactical plans for LinkedIn and Google+
- Build compelling outreach programs to actively engage targeted communities
- Monitor, track and share insights into community audiences and online conversations
- Explore new online and social media tools and implement best practices
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Team player, but also has the ability to work independently
- Strong familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest)
- Savvy, innovative and business-minded
- Experience with SEO including basic understanding of Google Analytics a plus
- Graphic design skills a plus
- Computer skills, Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Commitment to using and updating Salesforce, our Relationship Database
● Interest in nonprofit work, international issues, and philanthropy
- Full support of the mission and vision of UniversalGiving®
- Gain experience at a unique nonprofit that creates an impact on both a macro and an individual level– from building the Corporate Social Responsibility programs of Fortune 500 companies to protecting endangered sea turtles
- Gain entry, exposure, and experience in the nonprofit industry
- Collaborate within a positive team environment
- Increase your understanding of and alignment with global issues
- Network with other nonprofit professionals in an open office environment
- Career mentoring with Pamela Hawley, Founder & CEO of UniversalGiving
- For students, class credit can be arranged according to school requirements
Duration: Minimum 15-20 hours per week required for the duration of the internship, at least a minimum of 3 to 4 months. Ideal candidates are available to work out of our San Francisco office 3-4 days/week (Monday through Friday).
- We value our interns and volunteers and take these positions very seriously. For this reason, we ask for a $200 fully refundable retainer to secure your position. This check pays for the your seat in our coworking space, professional training and management guidance that you will receive. Because our interns are such an integral part of UniversalGiving, we implemented this policy several years ago to ensure the accountability of all team members. We return your full deposit on the last day of your internship. Please do not hesitate to contact us with further questions!
UniversalGiving® is an award-winning website allowing people to donate and volunteer with top performing projects all over the world. Our projects are vetted through a proprietary Quality Model™ to ensure the most effective, trustworthy philanthropy possible. Unique to UniversalGiving, we take no cut on donations. 100% of your donation goes directly to the cause.
UniversalGiving Corporate consults with Fortune 500 companies on the strategy, operations and NGO Vetting for their international giving and volunteering programs all over the world. Some clients include Cisco, Symantec, Fluor, Sabre, MTV.
Located in the heart of San Francisco, UniversalGiving has been profiled on CBS and in FOX Business Network, and has also been featured in BusinessWeek Fast Company, CSRWire, WomenEntrepreneur, Oprah.com, NBC News, The Christian Science Monitor, The New York Times, The Financial Times, MarketWatch, CNNMoney.com,Change.org and See Change Magazine. UniversalGiving has been voted as one the top nonprofits on Great Nonprofits in 2012, and was a Webby Award Honoree.
CEO Pamela Hawley is a winner of the Jefferson Award (the Nobel Prize in Community Service) and was selected as one of 50 leaders to the White House’s Next Generation Leadership and Social Innovation event. She is a Finalist for Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year Award, and a Colburn S. Wilbur Leadership Fellow at the Global Ethics Institute. She is a Fast Company Expert Blogger on CSR.
UniversalGiving’s Mission: We Connect People to Top Performing Opportunities Worldwide.
UniversalGiving’s Vision: “To Create a World Where Giving and Volunteering Are a Natural Part of Everyday Life.”
“I came into UniversalGiving as a shy recent graduate. I soon saw that this internship was like no other– I worked on high-level projects, I was mentored by the CEO (unheard of!), and I bonded with the grooviest team I have ever come across. The nerves left, but the values and experiences will stay.”
Former Executive Assistant Intern
Email your resume, cover letter, and writing sample (2 pages max), and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Social Media Lead Intern” in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
UniversalGiving® is committed to understanding and representing the diverse populations it serves worldwide. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization. We believe that a diverse team will best serve our diverse populations.
Follow us on social media: