UniversalGiving is rebuilding the website and our goal is to have volunteers and donors have life changing experiences and creating a strong community where every single NGO partner feels cared for, heard and promoted. Our new site must be robust, have excellent performance and the ability to facilitate millions of transactions of giving and volunteering.
UniversalGiving is looking for a website backend engineer with 7+ years of experience designing and implementing the large-scale system architecture and backend of an e-commerce website from scratch. The candidate must have excellent programming skills and experience in scalable cloud hosting solutions such as AWS or Azure to develop and maintain functional, stable and secure web applications. You will develop the entire architecture and backend of the website using Java(Spring) or Python(Django), MySQL, Bootstrap (preferably Bootstrap4), HTML5, React/Flux (possibly Angular2/Angular4 including Typescript), CSS3 for the new website, so experience with these technologies is a must.
- Design the large-scale architecture for the new website.
- Execute on entire build-out of new website.
- Write efficient, well-designed java/python code with a clean separation from the frontend.
- Provide technical leadership around the delivery of component designs and development.
- Have the ability to quickly define, develop, test and deploy well-crafted, high-performing code per a release schedule.
- Ensure that all systems are working at optimal levels.
- Lead other engineers and delegate tasks.
- Our current website is built based on Java, Apache Struts, MySQL, Apache Tomcat 7.0, JMeter, and Hibernate ORM. Our rebuild will move to the following technologies Java(Spring) or Python(Django), MySQL, Bootstrap (preferably Bootstrap4), HTML5, React/Flux (possibly Angular2/Angular4 including Typescript), CSS3 and others.
- Provide crisp and well-understood directives and communication.
Technologies & Skills
- 7+ years of solid Java (or) Python and e-commerce experience
- Experience in designing highly scalable, craftsmanship, web-based marketplaces that are attractive, rapid, and functional.
- Solid understanding of building scalable web APIs.
- Understanding and experience in integrating RESTful Web Services.
- Strong grasp of practical issues such as web application scalability.
- We are open to the build-out in other languages provided you have a strong plan that proves long-term sustainability and scalability for millions of users and a clear code base.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Understanding of applications from technical and business perspective.
- Must have hands on experience developing E-commerce websites.
- Must have experience in developing a website from scratch which caters to millions of users.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges.
- Experience in managing scalable, cloud hosting solutions such as AWS or Azure.
- Experience building Single Page Applications.
- Preferred experience with message-oriented and asynchronous architectures (like RabbitMQ, Celery).
- Self-directed problem solver.
- Interest in nonprofit work, international issues, and philanthropy.
- Action Oriented: Takes direction and implements task from management with ease and immediacy.
- Professionalism: is respectful, trusting, has a positive attitude, and excellent execution.
- Listening: attentive, active listener has patience and asks for clarity if needed.
- Process Management: follows UG manuals, figures out process with minimal direction.
- Time Management: uses time effectively and efficiently.
- Drives for Results: pushes oneself and team for results; meets goals.
- Understanding others: understands various points of view; embraces diversity.