The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a remote Communications Manager with a deep understanding of media relations and digital content creation, as well as strong networking and editorial skills to elevate and amplify the voices and stories of the knowledge equity movement.
You will lead the development of proactive and reactive communications plans to strengthen Wikimedia’s worldwide narrative and amplify its brand, initiatives, and campaigns. The position requires an individual with an outgoing personality who can build relationships with journalists and actively pursue media opportunities. You will have proven experience in developing and executing successful communications initiatives and media campaigns that demonstrate tangible results.
This is a highly collaborative role, with regular opportunities to shape communications strategy, craft content, pursue strong relationships with media, manage the foundation’s reputation within the press, and extend the Foundation’s reach. You will lead and execute communications campaigns in close partnership with peers and colleagues in the department, and work jointly with branding and marketing to ensure content and storytelling are consistent with the foundation’s values, voice and tone.
Ideally you are:
- A motivated self starter with excellent knowledge of the global media and social media landscape, as well as current events and news trends.
- A strategic thinker with experience crafting engaging content, campaign development and creative execution, as well as a solid understanding of messages that resonate and engage.
- An excellent verbal and written communicator with a keen knowledge of media and communications strategy, including the ability to write in a range of voices and styles for a variety of projects with diverse audiences.
- An energetic networker who holds strong relationships with journalists around the world — particularly with global development, technology, education and public policy media — and can deepen media relationships, and secure engagement with influencers and journalists, bloggers, and other digital influencers.
- A detail-oriented team player with the ability to manage projects and timelines and keep things on track, even under tight deadlines.
- A results-driven achiever with the ability to gather key media insights, trends, and a strong understanding of media and social media metrics and tools.
- A highly collaborative and vibrant team player committed to continuous learning, who can work closely with department colleagues, build support for shared visions, and integrate into a dynamic Communications department.
You will join a growing team of highly collaborative and adaptive media, creative strategists, marketers, writers and designers working to champion free information and knowledge around the world.
You are accountable for:
Shaping, implementing and executing communications and press plans, tactics and campaigns:
- Shaping communications and developing media relations strategy to develop integrated campaigns that amplify the foundation’s voice, brand and the knowledge equity movement.
- Guiding and drafting materials including press releases, blogs, pitch notes that highlight foundation goals, while underlining their connection to wider news trends and topics.
- Communicating the Wikimedia story by keeping up with current news trends and generating media coverage for events, major milestones, and key announcements.
- Managing and responding to daily press inquiries in a timely manner and in consideration of key opportunities for the foundation.
- Acting as a media liaison and handling requests for information, interviews, statements, event participation, etc.
- Handling rapid response and crisis communication to protect the perception and reputation of the foundation.
- Creating target media lists and pitching print, broadcast, bloggers and online journalists at global media outlets.
- Actively pursuing and fostering relationships with media and other reporters to ensure regular and in-depth coverage of Wikimedia work.
- Using metrics, data and research to shape narratives and identify ways to strengthen media campaigns and strategies.
Monitoring Foundation social media platforms for media opportunities:
- Crafting social media and digital content that resonates with media, influencers and key audiences, highlights coverage of the Foundation, and extends our following and reach in partnership with other communications colleagues.
- Monitoring social media platforms to identify news trends and discussions related to foundation news, and advising on issues that might affect our brand and reputation.
- Partnering with team members across departments and volunteers to create and distribute content.
Collaboratively supporting communications department work:
- Working side-by-side with the marketing team to develop and advance strategies that amplify press campaigns, including paid social media campaigns.
- Communicating clearly across the department on project objectives and deliverables, and connecting with internal teams to define and develop creative vision and strategy for media campaigns.
- Analyzing content and media opportunities and recommending strategies, interactions or approaches.
- Supporting the development of staff as thought leaders by advancing understanding of media and trending news and identifying key moments for staff to contribute.
Skills and experience:
- Minimum of 2 years of communications and media relations experience.
- Knowledge of and connections with global media and trends, behavior and products.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience and knowledge of media tools and digital communications platforms, audiences and engagement strategies.
- Experience executing integrated communications strategies and a successful track record in shaping campaigns that reach or influence global audiences.