The Wikimedia Foundation seeks a Lead Communications Specialist with a deep understanding of media relations and digital content creation, as well as strong networking and editorial skills to elevate and amplify the voices and stories of the knowledge equity movement.
You will lead the development of proactive and reactive communications plans to strengthen Wikimedia’s worldwide narrative and amplify its brand, initiatives, and campaigns. The position requires an individual with an outgoing personality who can build relationships with journalists and actively pursue media opportunities. You will have proven experience in developing and executing successful communications initiatives and media campaigns that demonstrate tangible results.
This is a highly collaborative role, with regular opportunities to shape communications strategy, craft content, pursue strong relationships with media, manage the foundation’s reputation within the press, and extend the Foundation’s reach. You will lead and execute communications campaigns in close partnership with peers and colleagues in the department, and work jointly with branding and marketing to ensure content and storytelling are consistent with the foundation’s values, voice and tone.
You are responsible for:
Shaping, implementing and executing communications and press plans, tactics and campaigns:
- Shaping communications and developing media relations strategy to develop integrated campaigns that amplify the foundation’s voice, brand and the knowledge equity movement.
- Guiding and drafting materials including press releases, blogs, pitch notes that highlight foundation goals, while underlining their connection to wider news trends and topics.
- Communicating the Wikimedia story by keeping up with current news trends and generating media coverage for events, major milestones, and key announcements.
- Managing and responding to daily press inquiries in a timely manner and in consideration of key opportunities for the foundation.
- Acting as a media liaison and handling requests for information, interviews, statements, event participation, etc.
- Handling rapid response and crisis communication to protect the perception and reputation of the foundation.
- Creating target media lists and pitching print, broadcast, bloggers and online journalists at global media outlets.
- Actively pursuing and fostering relationships with media and other reporters to ensure regular and in-depth coverage of Wikimedia work.
- Using metrics, data and research to shape narratives and identify ways to strengthen media campaigns and strategies.
Monitoring Foundation social media platforms for media opportunities:
- Crafting social media and digital content that resonates with media, influencers and key audiences, highlights coverage of the Foundation, and extends our following and reach in partnership with other communications colleagues.
- Monitoring social media platforms to identify news trends and discussions related to foundation news, and advising on issues that might affect our brand and reputation.
- Partnering with team members across departments and volunteers to create and distribute content.
Collaboratively supporting communications department work:
- Working side-by-side with the marketing team to develop and advance strategies that amplify press campaigns, including paid social media campaigns.
- Communicating clearly across the department on project objectives and deliverables, and connecting with internal teams to define and develop creative vision and strategy for media campaigns.
- Analyzing content and media opportunities and recommending strategies, interactions or approaches.
- Supporting the development of staff as thought leaders by advancing understanding of media and trending news and identifying key moments for staff to contribute.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of communications and media relations experience.
- Knowledge of and connections with global media and trends, behavior and products.
- Excellent interpersonal, listening, verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience and knowledge of media tools and digital communications platforms, audiences and engagement strategies.
- Experience executing integrated communications strategies and a successful track record in shaping campaigns that reach or influence global audiences.
- Experience cultivating diverse stakeholder relationships, including with media, advancing partnerships and stewarding collaboration.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Resilience—we work on new and interesting problems in public and collaborative ways
- Being open, curious, and inquiring in our work
- Internal motivation and high standards
- Working together for outcomes, and being willing to let go to scale or change course
- Sharing a culture of constructive criticism and respect
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience working with global nonprofit, media or technology service organizations is a plus.
- Fluency or familiarity with languages in addition to English is a plus.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.